- You are here:
The Georgia Institute of Technology is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, telephone 404-679-4500, http://sacscoc.org for questions about the accreditation of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
The following undergraduate programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org):
- Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering degree program is to produce graduates well-rounded in the fundamentals of materials science and engineering who are prepared to meet the related needs of industry and government and prepared for advanced academic study in materials-related disciplines. This will be accomplished by providing students with up-to-date knowledge and skills through course work, modern laboratories, opportunities to conduct cutting-edge research with distinguished faculty mentors, and opportunities to participate in leadership and service activities.
Program Educational Objectives
The following Program Educational Objectives were established to assist in attaining the visions and missions of the Georgia Institute of Technology and its College of Engineering, and to be consistent with ABET Criteria for Accrediting Engineering Programs. The Program Educational Objectives of the Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering program are listed below.
- Our graduates will rapidly rise to leadership roles in materials-related positions in industry, academia, government, and other career pursuits.
- Our graduates will be global leaders, collaborating with diverse, multi-disciplinary teams while incorporating emerging materials developments and engineering technologies that are positively changing society and the human condition.
- Our graduates will continue to grow their cumulative knowledge base by engaging in life-long learning via career-appropriate options, including post-graduate education and professional designations.
- Our graduates will be entrepreneurs, continually discovering, designing and creating new materials of all types, building on the process-structure-properties-performance paradigm to exert positive economic and social impacts across the field and society.
The Student Outcomes for the Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering program are listed below:
a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
b) an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
c) an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
f) an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
g) an ability to communicate effectively
h) the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
i) a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
j) a knowledge of contemporary issues
k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Georgia Tech Honor Code Agreement
The members of the Georgia Tech community believe the fundamental objective of the Institute is to provide Students with a high quality education while developing a sense of ethics and social responsibility. We believe that trust is an integral part of the learning process and that self-discipline is necessary in this pursuit. We also believe that any instance of dishonesty hurts the entire community. It is with this in mind that we have set forth a Student Academic Honor Code at Georgia Tech. For details please visit http://www.honor.gatech.edu/plugins/content/index.php?id=9